Monday, July 16, 2012


                       THE OLD HOUSE DOCTOR 1-11-04



FIX YOUR OWN DAMN WATER HEATER



Dear Old House Doctor,

            My water heater has stopped heating water. Could it be the electrical connection? What in the world can I do?

            Signed

            Filthy From Not Bathing

           



Dear Filthy,

            I hold my nose as I answer. Your electric water heater is suffering from Lime-o-nitis. It has built up so much lime that the lower element has burned out. As you say, What can you do?

            You could smoke a couple of bongs and go into the woods to burn a circle, but praying does little for electric water heaters. I know, because God told me that she wants you to use natural gas.

            Okay, I’ll tell you how to rejuvenate your electric water heater, but you’d better be prepared to work at it. Otherwise you need to shell out up to four hundred bucks for a new one, and I know you have more bongs to do, so bear with me for a couple of weeks whilst I explain this.

            Electric water heaters heat water using an element that comes in contact with the water itself, as opposed to gas heaters that use flames to heat the tank. With me so far? Good. The water around here has a lot of lime in it (calcium carbonate to you cavers), and the action of heating causes oxidation, which coats your heating elements with a hard white scale. This eventually causes the element to burn out. Don’t axe me why, it just DOES.

            Your electric water heater has two elements; one halfway up the tank, and one at the bottom. The bottom element does the lion’s share of the work, and is the first to burn out. HINT; if you replace one, replace the other! Labor is the main expense in any construction project, unless you build with gold or platinum. Anyway, you don’t need to toss the whole thing. A couple of hours work will make your electric water heater last nearly forever. Trouble is, you need to do this every other year.

            Do WHAT?, you axe. Unh-unh-unh. You gotta wait til necks time. Cold showers for you, you dweeb.

No comments:

Post a Comment